Sunday, January 30, 2005

Meta notes and a birdfeeder

I haven't posted in a long time, but I'd like "out" my blog soon. I think having an audience would encourage me to be more consistent, and there are things I want to share sometimes that would be most convenient in this format. However, I'm stalling because I'm apparently a little vain, and I want to make Little Things pretty. I'm having trouble editing fonts in old posts. I'd like to do a little with the style and appearance of the blog, too, but that's going to take some research and self-teaching. No big deal, just time consuming.

Meanwhile, I'll experiment some more with photos. I'm not going to use "Hello," the idiot-proof software Blogger recommends for posting photos, because it's huge, like 50MB, and it has components I don't need. Sometimes doing things the hard way (in this case, uploading pictures to a free photo host and copying the code myself, which isn't actually that hard) is better. ImageShack generates thumbnails, which might be good here so as to not eat up people's bandwidth (including mine) whenever they view my blog.

So. A thumbnail! You just click on it to see the larger photo, though in this case the original isn't that big either. It will open in a new window. (If you're using the Foxfire brower - Mama and Daddy, this means you - you can right-click on the thumbnail and choose "Open link in new tab." When you're finished, just x out of that tab.)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

This is my new birdfeeder! Daddy had a little accident with the old one, due to my efforts at home decor not being very sensitive to those more vertically gifted than myself. He very kindly funded a replacement, and I went to the Wild Bird Center yesterday and picked it out. Doesn't it look all professional? I've already seen chickadees, tufted titmice, and a woodpecker using it. It's an Aspects seed tube in the medium size. It holds a pound of seed.

I also started some seeds yesterday: flat-leaf parsley, sweet basil, and kale. I don't think it's too early, though with this roller-coaster winter, who knows?

No comments: