Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine

It's February, and it's been cold on and off, but we haven't single snowflake around here. Two tornadic storm systems in the dead of winter, thanks, but no snow. This has led me to go hunting on Flickr for pretty snow pictures with which to soothe my disappointment.


Happy Valentine's Day
Originally uploaded by Jokull



I took my students homemade (okay, Duncan Hines mix), festively decorated cupcakes today. In addition, one of my students handed out Valentine goody bags of French and American candies, including cherry liqueur chocolates and something called CaramBar, which promises "blagues tordantes!" inside:

Dans la série: tu devinaras jamais!
Pourquoi les avocats se font souvent disputer par leurs femmes?
Réponse: Parce qu'ils achètent souvent de nouvelles robes.
Now the question is, how well will our high school French serve us here?

I haven't been around blog-land very much, since I've been gone a lot of weekends and classes are starting to pick up a lot. For the first time, I'm trying out a wiki with my classes. Like Wikipedia, it's a website that the users can edit. I'm the maintainer of this one, but my students can create and edit pages, keep group vocabulary lists, and start conversation threads in message-board style. It's great, and very easy (not like actually being a webmaster) but does require a good deal of monitoring. I hope when I get the procedures more established and tested, I can do a presentation on it at some education conference or another. Brownie points with my superiors, is what that would get me, and maybe it would give other teachers some ideas, too.

Happy day!

4 comments:

Stephanie Kay said...

I want to know how they made that picture! Or if it's computer generated.

Since I took Spanish in HS I'm afraid I'm at a loss to translate! = )

Shayna said...

Steph - I think I figured out how they did it (notice everything is double, you couldn't do a single heart since there are two sets of tires) but it would have taken a lot of pracice, I think!

My meager two years of high school French aren't helping me much. :) I took the wrapper back to class and asked another woman to translate it, but she translated a different joke! So I still don't know. Here's my theory based on vaguely understanding half of the words:

Q: Why do lawyers often argue with women?
A: Because they often pay attention to new clothes!

Rubbish, my skills! Oh well.

Alicia said...

I took 2 years of french, and I tottaly don't get that!

Awesome what you are doing with your students! So cutting edge!

Shayna said...

Alicia - you can see from my translation attempt above that my two years of French didn't help me much either! The way we have our language programs set up in most American schools, it's hard; it's been proven that it takes a lot more than an hour a day, a few times a week for a year or two to reach any sort of competency. Not that I have opinions about language teaching. :)

I'm pretty comfortable with the Wiki now that I've got it set up, and it doesn't feel like a big deal - fortunately, these days, almost all of my students come to me already very internet/computer literate. It was different a few years ago, we actually had to teach terms like "mouse" and "click" and "cut and paste"!