I'll start by reviewing last month. Early in December, I went to an event that the Zoo puts on annually. I think they called it Christmas in the Wild. The main attraction is Santa and Mrs. Claus parading around the zoo on a courtesy cart and stopping to throw wrapped gifts to the animals. The gifts contain food and toys, but for the most part I think it's the boxes and wrapping the animals found most exciting. (Just like babies and housecats!)
The zoo's penguin, Laura, came out for a brief visit in the cafe first. Then Santa tossed gifts to the lions. (All of these thumbnails are clickable if you want to see larger versions of the photos.)

A little later some children were "playing" with the male lion through the glass, and the lion seemed like he was enjoying scaring them.

The elephants were great. They let themselves be fitted with giant Santa hats, paraded around their enclosure, and then waited for a cue to start opening Santa's gifts. Then they posed with Santa and Mrs. Claus for photos.


The chimps were the most audibly excited. (You can see and listen to them in the short video here.) But the cutest thing was the baby, born last spring, playing in a cat litter bucket, then running to Mom when it became clear that something was up. They stayed together for quite awhile until things calmed down again.



4 comments:
That's awesome!
Sheila, it was such a fun morning! I think the lions were the highlight, because you rarely get to see them animated like that.
What a fun event!! I'm sure the kids LOVED interacting with the lion like that. What a story they have to tell!
Stephanie, yes! One of the fun things about the event was watching the children react. :) I would love to be able to take my nieces someday!
Post a Comment