I'm here again with my Sunday morning Krispy Kremes, getting ready to hit the thesis. I took a walk this morning to wake up. I ducked into an unexplored (by me) cul-de-sac and discovered a really quiet, green cove full of cricket song and honeysuckle. There were a lot of passionflower vines, too, and most of the flowers were pure white instead of the usual stripey purple. I went back on my way to the donut shop, took pictures and picked a maypop, the fruit from the passionflower.
I had wanted to get going a lot earlier this morning. I planned to go to bed right after Saturday Night Live and get up at 5; that's a respectable night's sleep lately. Instead, I didn't even make it to 10:30 before falling asleep on the couch, and I missed the beginning of SNL. (It was last season's finale, which I missed before and I've really been wanting to see: it's the Olsen twins, and Jimmy Fallon's last episode.) I woke up halfway through and stayed partially awake til the end, when I went right into my fluffy, clean-sheeted bed and slept til 7. Good grief. I guess my body is trying to force me to catch up on sleep.
Mama and my aunt Jyll were here last week. It was nice. The Boston terrier was pretty well-behaved, especially when he was in his service dog gear, and my cat suffered only minor annoyance from his presence. It was fun to see them interact, actually. The human interaction was nice as well. Mama came to classes with me Friday morning. She's always a hit with the students.
Friday, we took Jyll to the bus station, and later Mama and I went to a movie. Harry Potter was only a matinee and we missed it, Mama wasn't interested in Spider-Man, and I wasn't interested in The Message, so we agreed on Napoleon Dynamite. Low budget-charming, with a wonderfully creative low-tech opening credit sequence. It's about a very odd teenage boy and his kind of sad, eccentric group of family and friends. I was afraid it would be painful to watch, but somehow it avoided that for the most part (with me anyway) and instead was really, really funny and satisfying. I can see it becoming a cult classic, full of lines that stick in your head and you quote at random times in your life.
[Pick-up line] "I see you're drinking 2% milk. Is that because you think you're fat? Because you're not, you could drink whole milk if you wanted to."
"Do you have anything you could gve her?" "I don't think so. Unless she likes fish."
Saturday, we went to Arkadelphia for Allie's state swim meet. It was a madhouse, madhouse I tell you! Well, it was very crowded and loud, but exciting. Hundreds of kids from age six to high school, running around in their suits and swim trunks, with their event numbers written in ball-point pen or marker on the skin of their arms or legs. Allie's very cute in her skullcap and goggles, and she did great. I got to see her win her heat in the breaststroke. I also ran into one of my professors from Ouachita and ended up getting to visit with her most of the morning and see the whole family. I love the Sonheims.
Sunday, July 25, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment